29 Apr 2024

#522 Quitting is an art - My Reply

 Quitting is an art – My reply

Design Credits: Canva

As mentioned in my previous blog post, I not only regularly go through Warikoo Wanderings which is a weekly newsletter but also share my views on the topic in the form of reply to the author. Presenting one of my replies to the newsletter that I received on 10.02.2023 with the subject “Winners don’t quit? That’s a lie. They quit a lot.”

Hello Ankur, 

Hope you're well!

This newsletter is a thought-provoking one. As always, it is very difficult to just move forward without sharing my views on the topic, after reading the newsletter. Quitting something is the most difficult and courageous decision especially when we don't know have a backup. There have been times, when I continued doing things that I didn't enjoy doing, be it the job or profession, subject, etc, I stuck with them as I hadn't figured out other alternatives to make me motivated to quit. The result was as expected; I burned out of my creative abilities and gave up. When I looked back at my life and recall those incidences in which I was indecisive about quitting the toxic traits, I realized that somewhere I put the result of this decision on external factors which made it even tougher for me to take the decision. The proverb "Something is better than nothing" added to my confusion to hold on to those toxic events.

The underlying idea behind pursuing anything is that if someone continues to do something, in spite of not enjoying doing, what he should've left doing long before, the result is a lack of peace and burnout. Sometimes those toxic job environments, relationships, and careers lure us into the mirage of benefits like salary, insurance, EMIs, loans, etc. Our dependence on these benefits makes it even more difficult for us to take the decision of quitting. 

Quitting something toxic, be it a relationship, habit, career, job, society, work environment, etc is actually a decision-away but sometimes it takes days, months, or even years to arrive at that decision. By the time we decide to quit it, we would have lost so much of our energy, mental peace, and self-respect to get ourselves on the right path. The sooner is the decision made, the better. In the end, we have to quit something toxic, not for anyone, but for ourselves. Most importantly, there should be no guilt associated with that decision for a peaceful future.

This is the summary of the entire discussion- To know when to stop doing something, to know when to change course, to know when to reassess, reimagine, reconfigure, is the mark of a true winner.

Like always, I love how you touch on some of the thought-provoking issues through your newsletter and let readers ponder about them. Your way of writing is something that I admire a lot, it's simple, clear, easy to read, and most importantly comprehend.

Good luck with whatever you're focussing your mind and energy into!

Have a nice weekend!

Regards
Swati

 

All Rights Reserved!

Swati Sarangi

29.04.2024

 P.S: This post is a part of #BlogChatterA2Z 2024Challenge for Alphabet ‘Q’

No comments:

Post a Comment