MY LOVE FOR CHESS
(Image Courtesy:Google Image)
I am not a regular chess player, but I like to play chess in my free time.
I have learnt to play chess from my paternal uncle, who introduced me to the pieces of chess to begin with. Later on, I developed a great interest in it.
I don’t clearly remember how many chess matches I have lost or won against him as a contender. But I do remember well the first time I won a chess match against him; he gifted me a certificate as a token of appreciation with my name written on it. I was on cloud nine after receiving it.
Later on during my school days, I remember participating in chess matches, and winning these would fill me with a sense of satisfaction and pride.
During my undergraduate years, I participated in my institute’s chess tournament and won prizes.
Similarly, in my post-graduate years, I secured spots in the finals of chess and won it as well. Out of two girls’ hostels of our institute, I had the opportunity to lead the team of five players who played the matches against the opponents of another hostel. We won four matches.
Later on, I created my profile on chess.com and regularly played matches to enhance my skills.
At home, when my cousins meet, we play chess with one another. I even play chess matches with my sister.
Once, while gossiping with my sister, she introduced me to the chess tournament by Tech Mahindra called Contenders.
Its registration closed on 20 September 2025. Contenders is the official pathway to the Tech Mahindra Global Chess League (GCL), the world’s first franchise-based chess league featuring the top players. It is a multi-tiered online chess tournament where amateurs and professionals compete for the coveted spot of ambassadors in Tech Mahindra Global Chess League Season 3.
After registration, I had to choose three arenas out of the six available based on the time frame. Registrations were open for male, female, and U21 participants.
I chose Arena 4, 5, and 6. But I preferred to play on 19 September 2025.
The tournament started at 8:30 PM, and there were 14 participants registered. I had to play chess matches randomly with different participants. The game was designed for 5+0 minutes per game.
I started playing the matches with excitement. I was nervous as well because I found that one of the players from the group of 14 participants was a FIDE Woman Grandmaster. I played all three games against her but lost all three games.
This tournament ended at 11:30, and I ranked 2nd with a silver medal. I was so happy to finish the game at this rank, and I progressed to the 2nd round, in which all the top 2 players from the 6 arenas compete with the 4 guest players. It was conducted on October 3–5.
I was quite excited to participate in the second round.
Although I lost the match against my opponent, who was a grand master in women's chess from Vietnam in the top-8 round, it was a rewarding experience for me. I was privileged enough to represent my country in the global chess arena.
I am looking forward to participating in more such global-level chess tournaments.


No comments:
Post a Comment