1 Feb 2024

#489 Under the magic spell of Ukulele

 Under The Magic Spell of Ukulele

Source : Google Images


New Year Greetings to the readers!

[Why not? The excitement of New Year shouldn’t fade away at this point.]  

It’s the first day of the second month of this year and I am all set to put my foot on this task of writing 10k words before this month ends. I have been putting away my habit of writing for no particular reason, but I am glad that this initiative of Write A Page A Day by BlogChatter will wake my writing spirit up from a deep slumber. Writing is not just a process of typing my thoughts on the keyboard but it’s an act of introspecting my life and surroundings. It reminds me to pause, reflect, collect, and write.

I’ve been a strong believer in the Law of Attraction. Last year, around this time, I pasted some cut-outs on my journal linking to my wishes/goals in various spheres of my life. Out of those cut-outs, there was a light blue Ukulele, I was aspiring to learn to play it. Fast forward many months, I found out about Ukulele classes being held at different libraries in the Helsinki/Espoo area, that too for different levels, beginners, intermediate, and advanced. It was like “When the student is ready, the teacher appears” kind of moment for me. I, right away, decided to join the beginner’s classes. When I got this information, I had already missed some classes which made me a little anxious about the fear of missing out on my peers, but when I started attending the classes, I found the instructor, Sakari Heikka, super welcoming and friendly. Interestingly, there was a provision to burrow Ukuleles and use them in the class. All the students used these Ukuleles until they got their own.

My training began with the right posture to hold the Ukulele, and tune and strum it in the right way so that the Ukulele sounds perfectly. There were about 8-10 students in the class who were very enthusiastic about playing Ukulele. I made many friends through those classes, got to know them, and enjoyed learning Ukulele with them. We were taught the basic chords like C, Am, F, G, Dm, C#, etc, and provided chord sheets to follow. We were so enrapt in singing and playing along with the instructor that those 1-hour seemed like a few minutes. It has been so aptly said that “Music has no language or religion.” It touched all of our hearts.

In the Beginner’s class at Lippulaiva Library, I attended around 12 classes, and I must never forget to thank the instructor for his patience in teaching the techniques to an absolute beginner like me. He was also very regular in sharing the resources of each class so that we could practice at home. I  experimented with the chords that I learned with Ukulele for playing many Bollywood or devotional songs. This helped me to convert a wish of mine, to create an Instagram Channel dedicated to my recordings, into reality. I started recording my songs on the Ukulele and published them on my Instagram Channel – Swar Symphony. I could explore another library; Lippulaiva Library, because of these classes. Another wish of mine, to be able to perform in a live concert, came true, when we were invited to perform in a Christmas Concert at Sello Library on 11.12.2023. The videos can be found on my Instagram Channel – Swar Symphony. We played Ukulele on popular Christmas songs, both Finnish and English. It was a great experience.

I have always wished to adopt playing the Ukulele as my hobby to accompany my singing but as a beginner, I was looking for the right direction to get started. Luckily, those classes helped me sail through the basics of Ukulele playing without getting distracted. Under the magic spell of the Ukulele, not only I could make those dark and depressive winter days of Finland exciting, but I also published as many as 47 recordings on my Instagram channel within 3 months. It’s no less than a wonder for me. I hope to witness more such wonders in the future and let the Ukulele cast its magic spell on me!

Source: Google Images

All Rights Reserved

SWATI SARANGI

01.02.2024

P.S: This post is a part of #WriteAPageADay by BlogChatter and I’ve picked up the prompt “Hobbies you’re working on”.

No comments:

Post a Comment