5 Oct 2024

#547 Celebrating festivals abroad

 Celebrating festivals abroad

Image source : Blogchatter

This post is a part of Blogchatter Blog Hop.

Festivals provide a way to escape from the mundanity of life and celebrate it. In every Indian household, they hold immense importance and bring countless moments to be treasured as memories. Festivals bring a variety of mouth-watering food, magnetically divine vibes, some rituals to perform, and get-together with family and friends.

Every year, there comes a handful of festivals that all of us look forward to. As a child, I used to surf through festivals on the calendar, not because I hated going to school but because I enjoyed everything about it; be it helping my mother with preparation, serving guests when they arrived home, cleaning or decorating home. All of us, my sister, father and I worked together like a team during the festive season to execute every plan that we had made.

Out of all the festivals, my favorite one is Dusshera. I don’t know why I remember almost all memories of it, right from my school days. Is it because we were given 2 weeks of Autumn holidays then or the extravaganza associated with it? I can’t figure out the right reason. Every year, it falls during October and the feeling of nostalgia engulfs me. The image of stage, competitions, aromas of delicacies, and other performances. Having spent my school days in Kanpur, I witnessed how grand Sarvojanin Kali Puja Samiti used to organize Kali Puja for a week. There used to be competitions for different age groups. We participated in it and won some prizes. The entire celebration would end with fireworks, a prize distribution ceremony, and a concert. I have been missing this festival ever since I was away from Kanpur.

 

Image Source : Generated by GROK2
 

It has been 3.5 years since I have lived abroad. I try to recreate events from my festival memories because it is always not practically possible for me to visit India during festivals. The first that I do as a part of preparing for festival is to rush to an Indian Store to get the groceries or related items for the festival. We celebrate at home with decorations, and delicious dishes or additionally look for communities where it is celebrated. No matter how much I try to recreate those feelings of excitement of celebrating festivals at home back in India, something remains missing.

Such is the power of home; festivals that we celebrate with family and friends! The nostalgia associated with festivals hits me every year and makes me miss home a little more.

© All Rights Reserved!

Swati Sarangi

04.10.2024

#BlogchatterBlogHop


Edit : This post received TOP POST on Blogchatter



Top post on Blogchatter

You can support my work through Buy Me A Coffee.


4 comments:

  1. Such a nice way to enjoy festivals on a foriegn land

    ReplyDelete
  2. Festivals, no matter celebrated anywhere, bring us close to our motherland. I can understand, and hence I appreciate your efforts in being rooted to culture and tradition.
    Sending you best wishes of festive season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your post beautifully captures the essence of festivals and the deep emotions tied to them. It's amazing how you can paint such a vivid picture of your childhood memories—the excitement of helping your mom, the teamwork with your family, and the unforgettable celebrations. Your connection with Dusshera feels so personal, almost as if I could feel the energy of those festive days in Kanpur through your words.

    Living abroad and trying to recreate those special moments must be tough, but it's heartwarming to see how you keep those traditions alive in your own way. Even though something always feels a little missing without home, you’ve perfectly captured how the spirit of festivals lingers with us, no matter where we are. It’s true—festivals are more than just rituals; they’re a reminder of our roots, our people, and the warmth we hold onto. Your post left me feeling both nostalgic and inspired. Thank you for sharing such an emotional piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your write-up is a great example of linking the outer celebrations with our inner world. Also, appreciate how you are keeping the Indian culture alive in a foreign land. Many of us are unable to do so even when we have the best of resources available easily. Thanks for sharing something so personal and deep with us.

    ReplyDelete